A topic sentence is the most important sentence in a paragraph.
Sometimes referred to as a focus sentence, the topic sentence helps
organize the paragraph by summarizing the information in the paragraph.
In formal writing, the topic sentence is usually the first sentence in a
paragraph (although it doesn't have to be).
Purpose of the Topic Sentence
A topic sentence essentially tells readers what the rest of the paragraph is
about. All sentences after it have to give more information about that
sentence, prove it by offering facts about it, or describe it in more detail.
For example, if the topic sentence concerns the types of endangered
species that live in the ocean, then every sentence after that needs to
expound on that subject.
Topic sentences also need to relate back to the thesis of the essay. The
thesis statement is like a road map that will tell the reader or listener where
you are going with this information or how you are treating it.
Topic Sentences and Controlling Ideas
Every topic sentence will have a topic and a controlling idea. The
controlling idea shows the direction the paragraph will take.
Here are some examples:
Topic Sentence: There are many reasons why pollution in ABC Town is
the worst in the world.
The topic is “pollution in ABC Town is the worst in the world” and the
controlling idea is “many reasons.”
A "clincher" sentence is one which offers a summary and conclusion that is
logically unassailable and delivered in powerful language. It is often
preceded by several sentences which pull together the threads of evidence
or argument, and then delivers the knock-out punch as the "clincher."
|1. The sojourner features.
2. Second how it looks.
3. What they did to it to make it look like a
4. After a month it shut down at night
because NASA did not want it to loose its
5. The Rover has alot of weird and cool
6. When did this happen 1997.
7. Where did this happen the planet Mars.
8. The Sojourner rover was on of the best
things that has helped us learn about mars.
9. The Sojourner Rover was invented on
July 4, 1997.
10. It was going to Mars to complete a
11. The rocks were dark and studded with
12. On 1997 the Sojourner Rover was first
controlling car to land on Mars. (topic)
13. The Sojourner Rover is a sensor.
14. There have been space scientist have
never tried anything like this. (topic)
15. The mission had paid $266 million
dollars exactly what had been budgeted.
16. Sojourner has six wheels with spikks to
prevent it from not flipping over.
17. Sojourner is full of technology engineers
have developed a small robot called rover.
18. Her APXS measurements of the
matrains rocks were surprisingly.
19. to show property to a america it has a
little american flag on it.
20. It had a long probe, that sorta works like
21. As the craft would fall thousands of feet
to the ground.
22. Which is very rare because usually
scientists analyze the pictures before ever
posting them for about a year.